Skilled Immigration Requirements
There are a number of general requirements needed for a person applying for a visa. The 457 visa application requires a number of forms of documentation including:
- Evidence of identity such as a birth certificate and a passport.
- Evidence of age – you must be under the age of 45 when you apply.
- Evidence of necessary skills to perform the occupation. The applicant needs to provide proof that they have the skills/abilities to actually do the work of the position they applied for. You must have post–secondary qualifications and your skills must be assessed by the relevant assessing authority as suitable for your nominated occupation. This may include a skills assessment (done by Trades Recognition Australia) or more paper based evidence such a degrees/certificates, CV, references or any licence or professional membership held. VETASSESS can assess your professional qualifications or vocational skills and training to assist you in the migration process.
- Nominated occupation – when you apply, you must nominate a skilled occupation which fits your skills and qualifications. Your nominated occupation must be found on the Australian Government website under the Skilled Occupation List.
- Recent work experience – the period of work experience required will vary depending on the number of points you may be granted for your nominated occupation.
- English language proficiency – individuals need to prove that they meet the English proficiency requirements set by the Australian Government. For English speaking countries, this testing may not be required and only proof of nationality is required.
- Character Requirements – individuals have to show that they are of "good character" by providing character–related information in their 457 visa application. This includes submitting the relevant form to meet the ’penal clearance requirements’ focusing on an individual’s criminal history.
- Health and Character Requirements – the 457 visa application may require the person to attend a health assessment unless they have special circumstances (such a pregnancy or if they plan to work in certain environments such as hospitals). A certificate stating that adequate health insurance cover has been obtained is required for any 457 visa application. All IMAN Australian Health Plans meet the level of health insurance required for the 457 visa application.