Statement of commitment
IMAN Australian Health Plans Pty Ltd ABN 34 144 907 746 (IMAN) is a subsidiary of nib holdings limited ABN 51 125 633 856, company listed on the Australian stock exchange, and is part of the nib group of companies (nib).
What is personal information?
Personal information means information or an opinion about an identified individual, or an individual who is reasonably identifiable from the information, whether the information or opinion is true or not and whether it is recorded in a material form or not.
Sensitive information is a subset of personal information which is generally afforded a higher level of protection. It includes your health information, genetic information, biometric information, as well as information about your racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, membership of political, professional or trade associations, or trade unions, religious beliefs, sexual orientation or practices, and criminal record.
Why does IMAN collect my personal information?
We collect personal information primarily to enable us to provide health benefits and related services to overseas workers in compliance with their visa requirements. You do not have to identify yourself when you make general enquiries. However, we will in certain circumstances need to only deal with individuals who have identified themselves to us. Also, if the information provided to us is not accurate or complete, we may not be able to provide benefits for the requested health and related services.
You should be aware the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) may restrict or prohibit IMAN from dealing with your personal information in ways that may be permitted by privacy laws and regulations applying in countries other than Australia (and vice versa). IMAN recommends you obtain professional or legal advice if you have any questions or concerns regarding the nature or application of Australia's privacy laws to you or to your personal information.
What personal information does IMAN collect?
The personal information IMAN collects and holds will depend on whether you are a customer or policy holder and which services you have used. Information that we collect about customers may include:
- name, address, phone number and other contact details
- family and marital status, date of birth and gender
- bank account, credit card and other payment details
- financial Institution account details
- current or past details of private health insurance, including level of cover
- claim details (which may include health information)
- pre-existing health condition information, sensitive information, such as your health records, medical history and claims and health services provided to you
- employment details
- visa details
How does IMAN collect my personal information?
IMAN may collect personal information directly from you (in person, by phone, electronically or online) when:
- you apply to become an IMAN customer
- you request information concerning IMAN services
- you participate in a health management program
- a claim is lodged by or for you
IMAN may also collect personal information from other sources including:
- the policyholder
- related entities within the nib Group
- health service providers (such as private and public hospitals, doctors and medical specialists)
- other health insurers
- government agencies (such as Medicare)
- state registration boards and professional associations
IMAN may also collect information from other companies, such as market research companies, but only where you have provided your consent to be contacted by third parties for this purpose.
How do we use your information?
IMAN uses your personal information to:
- provide you with health and related services
- determine your eligibility to receive an IMAN health cover or related service
- promote and market IMAN's current and future health and related services
- conduct research (including but not limited to customer surveys) concerning IMAN's current and future health and related services
- promote and market existing and future other nib branded products and services
Will my personal information be given to anyone else?
IMAN may be required to disclose your personal information to:
- health service providers (including private and public hospitals, doctors and medical specialists, state registration boards and professional associations)
- health insurers;
- government agencies, contractors and service providers performing services including (but not limited to) marketing, market research, mail-house services, hosting services and product development services
- existing and future strategic partners in respect of nib branded products and services
- related companies of IMAN within the nib Group
- other individuals on your IMAN policy.
Overseas disclosures to organisations and individuals
Due to the nature of IMAN's products and services, it may be necessary to disclose your personal information to people or organisations outside Australia. Such overseas recipients of your personal information will generally be located in your original country of residence where you are departing to Australia from and include:
- our agents and brokers
- your employer
- anyone you permit us to disclose your personal information to
IMAN will otherwise not disclose your personal information to anyone unless:
- you give us your permission to do so
- your safety or the safety of others in the community is at risk
- IMAN is permitted to do so under the Privacy Act; or
- IMAN is required or authorised by or under an Australian law or court or tribunal order.
Direct marketing and opting out
IMAN uses and discloses your personal information to communicate with you (by mail, telephone, email and/or sms) about current and new IMAN or nib branded related products and services, arranged or offered by related entities in the nib Group. You can ask us at any time to stop sending you direct marketing from a particular channel or at all, by contacting 13 14 63, visiting a Retail Centre or by emailing us.
Is my personal information secure?
IMAN takes all reasonable steps to ensure your personal information is kept secure, and is not subject to misuse, interference and loss, unauthorised access, modification or disclosure. IMAN only permits its authorised personnel to access your personal information, and information will only be disclosed to third parties where they have the appropriate authority. We destroy or de-identify personal information we no longer need, wherever possible.
How do I obtain access to my personal information?
You have a right to access your personal information. IMAN generally makes this information available in standard formats, such as your claims or contributions statements, but we will endeavour to make it available in an alternative format if requested, if that is possible.
We will need to verify your identity before we can provide you with access. We will in all cases respond to your request within a reasonable period, however there may be circumstances in which we cannot provide you with access in the manner requested or at all. If this happens, we will advise you in writing of our reasons and how you can complain about the decision.
You will not be charged for making an access request, however we may need to charge for the reasonable cost of processing your access request, including photocopying, copying of radiographs, supplying written reports, administration and postage.
You can request access to your personal information by using the contact details below.
Is my personal information accurate? Can it be corrected?
The accuracy of your personal information is important to us. IMAN will take reasonable steps to ensure your personal information is accurate, complete, up to date and not misleading and also relevant for any purpose for which we use or disclose it. But we also rely on you to advise us of any changes to your contact details and any other personal information. If you believe that any personal information IMAN holds about you is not accurate, complete, up to date, relevant, or is misleading, please contact us immediately. If we are satisfied that the information needs to be corrected, we will take reasonable steps to correct the information. However there may be circumstances in which we may have to refuse a request for correction. If this happens we will notify you in writing of our decision and give you reasons and tell you how you can complain about our decision if you are not satisfied. You can also ask us to associate a statement with your personal information that you believe should be corrected. You will not be charged for making request for a correction or requesting us to associate a statement with your information.
More information or Complaints
Our contact details
Telephone:1800 22 11 33
Email: [email protected]
nib health funds limited
22 Honeysuckle Drive
Newcastle NSW 2300
If you are not satisfied with the result of your complaint to us, you can refer your complaint to the:
Office of the Australian Information Commissioner
Phone: 1300 363 992
Post: GPO Box 5218
Sydney NSW 2001
Online form: www.oaic.gov.au (Privacy Complaint Form)